Getting optimal fluoride is the most effective way to prevent cavities. Although our water is fluoridated to safe and optimal levels, many of us are not receiving adequate doses of fluoride to prevent caries (cavities). Whether you have made the switch to bottled or filtered water, using a toothpaste without fluoride, or simply require more fluoride to prevent cavities then you are currently getting our Highlands Ranch dentist may recommend a professional fluoride treatment.
The use of fluoride treatments is a widely accepted treatment for children during regular dental visits, but what about adults? Childhood caries (cavities) is the number one chronic disease of childhood and is the root causes for most absences from school and we are finding adults are just as susceptible to caries (cavities) if not more.
Studies have shown that receiving professional fluoride treatments, reduces the need for fillings by as much as 30 to 50 percent in adults.
Prevention has always been a part of the dentistry world. Leaders in the dentistry world, including our Highlands Ranch Dentist, are at the forefront in helping prevent caries. The ADA (American Dental Association) as well as Dr. DeLapp and Dr. Parsons are now recommending that adults also receive professional fluoride treatments at their regular dental visits.
Here is what our Highlands Ranch Dentists also recommend to help receive adequate fluoride levels between your dental visits:
– Drink 8-16 oz of unfiltered, regular tap water every day.
– Make sure your toothpaste contains Fluoride (such as Crest Cavity Protection).
– Rinse with ACT Fluoride Rinse at night for at least 30 seconds and do not rinse with water after.
– If you have a high caries risk or a very acidic mouth, use the CariFree products you can learn more here.
– Make sure to have biannual dental checkups with professional fluoride treatment at Cottonwood Dental Group.
Our family has been proudly handcrafting smiles in Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, Centennial, Castle Pines, and Parker area since 1982.
Have other dental questions or need to schedule an appointment? Get in touch with our Cottonwood Dental Group specialists today.