You may have been told that you need a root canal therapy at your most recent trip to our Highlands Ranch dental office. Root canal therapy is simply the removal of the nerve of the tooth. This is done for several reasons, including severe pain or sensitivity, infections, or a cavity that is so large it is infecting the nerve of the tooth.
So, what can you expect during a root canal procedure?
- First, a diagnosis of what and why the tooth requires a root canal is determined. After this diagnosis, our Highlands Ranch Dentists will review what is called informed consent for the procedure.
- Then local anesthetic is applied to the area to receive treatment. Once you are profoundly numb, a dental dam (commonly referred to as a rubber dam) is placed over the tooth. This step is a requirement to ensure your safety.
- Next, our Highlands Ranch Dentist, will access the nerve of the tooth and carefully begin to remove the nerve with a set of different instruments and files.
- The canals or roots of the tooth are then cleaned and shaped and the bacteria along with the nerve is completely removed. To ensure this process is done thoroughly, a radiograph/x-ray of the area is taken to make sure the instruments have gone all the way down the root.
- The canals or roots are then filled with a biocompatible material called gutta-percha. It permanently adheres to your tooth through the roots with a sealer. Again, another radiograph/x-ray may be taken to ensure that the gutta-percha is completely seated.
- After this process is completed, our Highlands Ranch Dentist may recommend a crown (full coverage restoration) to prevent fracture of the tooth, or a simple filling to fill the hole may be required.
- We may also recommend that you take a non-steroidal inflammatory medication such as Advil or Aleve for a period of time to help with any post-operative discomfort.
Have more questions about root canal therapy or our services? The experts at Cottonwood Dental Group can help! Call us at 303.694.9740 or contact us. Visit our website to meet the team and learn more about our array of dental services.
Copyright © 2021 Cottonwood Dental