You may wonder what are the best ways to improve your smile and what treatment you should speak with our Highlands Ranch Dentist about.
Here are the top 10 dental treatments used to improve your smile
1. Composite or White fillings. You may have had fillings done many years ago that are made of a silver or amalgam alloy. These fillings can darken and discolor the tooth over time and even cause fracturing of the teeth. With the help of adhesive dentistry, now natural and tooth colored fillings called composite fillings can be use to replace these old restorations. This give the tooth a more natural and healthy appearance
2. Invisalign or clear retainer braces. May of us had braces or needed braces as a youth due to over crowding or mal-alignment of the teeth. Over time if teeth are left positioned incorrectly this can lead to more serious and expensive dental treatments. Invisalign is a non-invasive and popular way to straighten teeth and provide a more ideal smile. A series of clear retainers is worn to help move and position the teeth into optimal position. This change not only helps the health of your teeth and gums but also gives you a beautiful smile that can last a lifetime. It is important to note that you must wear a retainer at night for the duration of your life.
3. Porcelain Veneers. Veneers are a thin layer of porcelain that are applied directly to the face of the teeth. A minimal amount of tooth structure is prepared to give you the ideal esthetics that you desire. This type of restoration is ideal for those who would like to change the size and shape of their current teeth or who have deep staining that cannot be removed with traditional whitening process.
4. Teeth Whitening. There are several options our highlands ranch dental office provides with whitening. Our most successful whitening products is the KOR whitening system. This system is a take home Carbamide Perioxide based solution that is placed in custom made trays and worn at night anywhere from 1 hours up to all night long. A sensitizing solution is applied to the teeth to help prevent sensitivity. Teeth whitening in our Highlands Ranch dental office is one of the most effective procedures for light staining or discolored teeth.
5. Dental Crowns. Dental crowns are used for a variety of dental treatments. Large cavities, large cracked fillings, cracked teeth, root canaled teeth, or replacement of old crowns. A crown simply means a restoration that covers the entire surface of a tooth. Traditionally these crowns were made of a gold alloy, metal, or porcelain fused to metal. Today with advancements in material sciences, these crowns are typically made from a pressed ceramic that is tooth colored. Crowns can also be used to help improve the esthetics of a tooth by altering it’s color, shape, size, alignment, or functional properties.
6. Dental Bonding. This process uses tooth colored filling material to be applied directly to a tooth’s surface to help improve esthetics. It can be used to change the shape and size of a tooth. Dental bonding is an ideal treatment for those who have minor fractures or chips on the tips of their teeth.
7. Dental Implants. Dental implants are used to replace a missing tooth. This restoration is the best solution for a missing tooth. It functions and feels most like a natural tooth and is a very conservative treatment for replacement of missing teeth. This restoration allows for a tooth to be placed while preserving the integrity of the teeth surrounding it. It is highly success for with an about 95% success rate. A dental implant is made of titanium and is placed into the bone of the jaw. A post commonly referred to as an abutment and a crown are placed on top of the implant give you a natural looking tooth.
8. Dental Bridges. Dental bridges have been around for many years. Like a traditional bridge you think of in every day life, a dental bridge uses the teeth on either side of a missing tooth as it anchors. These teeth are prepared for crowns and a fake or pontic tooth is placed between as a replacement in the missing space. Dental bridges are not as successful in replacing missing teeth as implants are. They commonly have to be replaced about every 7-10 years. They are also susceptible to increase in risk of cavities and fracture due to the extensive forces placed on the anchoring teeth.
9. Gum Surgery. You may have noticed that over time your gums have started to receed or pull away from the tooth. This can cause not only sensitive teeth but also may make your teeth look long or more discolored and yellow. Thanks to advancements in the field of periodontics, now the gums can be re-contoured and pulled back into place with techniques like the pin hole technique and other grafting procedures. This procedure may require you to have minor adjustment to your bite or more frequent visits to the dentist for check ups depending on the reason why your gums began to receed.
10. Dental Sealants. Dental sealants are a protective coating applied to the chewing surface of teeth. These areas are most susceptible to cavities due to the deep crevices on the chewing surface of the tooth. These areas are hard to impossible to brush away bacteria that may get caught in these cavities. A dental sealant is applied in these areas that protect the tooth against bacteria. Many times these sealants should be replaced every 2-5 years depending on your bite and risk for cavities.
Our highlands ranch dental office has been hand crafting dental smiles since 1982. Call our office today at 303-694-9740 and schedule your appointment today. Check out our awesome reviews on Google and see what the dental community is saying about us!