“You don’t have to brush your teeth – just the ones you want to keep.” This humorous statement highlights the value of developing good dental habits, and the need to take preventative steps to maintain sound oral health. Consider seven tips that you and your family should be following in order to keep your smiles at their peak performance:
1. BFF Method — No it’s not an acronym for best friends forever. It stands for brush and floss faithfully. Brush teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste, and clean between teeth daily.
2. Watch your mouth — Take time to regularly inspect your tongue, gums, cheeks, and throat for any noticeable changes, including puffy, red gums, or sores that don’t heal properly.
3. Stick out your tongue at bad breath — If left unchecked , food debris and bacteria remaining on the tongue can lead to foul breath and other issues. Use your toothbrush to clean your tongue and keep bad breath in check.
4. Say NO to tobacco — Tobacco use can increase the likelihood of developing periodontal disease, foul smelling breath, stained teeth, loss of taste, and a variety of cancers. Kick the tobacco habit today.
5. Use only as directed — Use teeth for chewing food only, not as a tool for opening packages, crunching on ice, or chewing on pens and pencils.
6. Eat healthy — Eat a well balanced diet and limit between-meal snacking, especially on foods high in sugar content.
7. Go to the dentist — Regular visits permit early diagnosis of issues such as tooth decay, infections, and oral cancer, and helps prevent them from progressing untreated. Visit your Highlands Ranch dentist at least every six months.
If you need to improve on some of these steps, likely your friends and family will too. Share this information with them to help promote healthy mouths and dynamite smiles. Do you have any secrets for keeping your smile in tip-top shape?